It's Fall . . . that means Elite Tall Fescue Season is upon us and it's time to tackle those leaves that are falling on your lawn.
Read our November Lawn Tips or watch the Lawn Tips Live video, recorded at our store in Alpharetta, Georgia.
Warm Season LawnsLet your Bermuda, Zoysia, or Centipede lawn slowly go dormant over the next month and don't overlook our crucial Fungicide tips.
- Do not fertilize or aerate warm-season lawns in the fall; wait until spring. Especially avoid any product with Nitrogen.
- Green all year with this lawn hack: If you have TifTuf Bermuda, we have a technique for enjoying a green lawn all year using perennial ryegrass seed and Automower robotic mowers. We stock both! Read about TifTuf + Perennial Rye = Green All Year
- Fungicide: If you haven't done so already, warm season lawns get an application of fungicide in the fall (once soil temps lower to 70 degrees) to help reduce the possibility of Large Patch. Remember an ounce of prevention in the fall is cheaper and easier than curing Large Patch in the spring!
- Continue to mow your warm season lawn until it goes dormant for winter. Don't leave it long for the winter; keep it at your regular cut height for your lawn.
- Mowing Tall Fescue Seedlings: The first time to mow your lawn (at a 2.5-3" cut height) is when the seedlings reach 3-4" tall. In fact, mowing will promote growth! So don't be timid. Mow it!
- Now is the time to lower the mower blade for your established Tall Fescue lawn. Continue to mow as needed throughout the winter at a 2.5-3" cut height. Next summer we'll remind you to raise it up again.
- The window for applying pre-emergent herbicide has closed for the autumn. The next window will open in February when the Forsythia bushes flower - we'll send out an email alert at that time. Now is the time for post-emergent herbicides for weeds you can see now on all established lawns. Come by for products!
- POST-Emergent herbicide on NEW Tall Fescue: If you planted a brand new Fescue lawn from seed and in the process tilled up existing soil, you've probably kicked up weed seeds and exposed them to the light. As a result, the seeds are probably now germinating alongside your Fescue seedlings.
👍 Rule of thumb: It's okay to apply a post-emergent herbicide labeled for Tall Fescue lawns after you've mowed your lawn 3 to 4 times. Come by for products!
- Mowing works well for suppressing weeds you see now. Mow to break the weed life cycle. Mowing cuts off flower/seed heads and that stops weed seeds from making more weeds. Get yourself on a weekly mowing routine and don't let the weeds get ahead of you. Better yet, a robotic lawn mower will quietly and constantly mow for you and keep the despised weeds from going to seed - It's a clean and green, weed-stopping machine!
- Mulch is a time-tested trick for suppressing weeds in flower beds. Spread bark or pine straw 2-4" thick and keep it 1-2" away from touching the trunks or stems of your plants. Rake/blow leaves off your lawn and into your beds and natural areas rather than bagging them.
- Hand weeding is exercise! Enjoy the fall weather while you pull those weeds. Get a little nature therapy, vitamin D, and exercise.
Keep Fertilizing (or not)
- Stop in to pick up 16-4-8 fertilizer for Elite Tall Fescue lawns through the cool growing season.
- Along with fertilization, you may need to apply a fast-acting lime that neutralizes the pH of your soil. Always take a soil test to confirm if you need to apply lime or fertilizer. Balanced soil pH is critical for your grass to be able to use the nutrients supplied by your fertilizer.
- Do not fertilize or aerate warm-season lawns in the fall; wait until spring.
It's Tall Fescue Time!
There's still time to overseed with our blend of dark green, disease-resistant, and drought-tolerant Tall Fescue varieties. Read why our Elite Tall Fescue seed is the best Tall Fescue seed for the Southeast.
- Prepare for overseeding Tall Fescue by cleaning up your lawn and spraying out weeds with a post-emergent herbicide.
- Caution about pre-emergent herbicide: If you applied fall pre-emergent herbicide you'll need to wait until next fall to start a new Tall Fescue lawn from seed.
- Get instant impact with Elite Tall Fescue sod, available as a single roll or in full pallets. You can now order sod online.
Introducing Echo Robotics Turf Mowers
We have giant mowers too! These fields are so large, the robots look tiny. Learn about our Echo Robotic Turf Mowers that cover 3 to 5 acres.
|Rugby pitch at Clemson University (left) and Quail Hollow Golf Course (right).|