Weeds Are Among Us
- Mowing is a no-brainer for suppressing weeds. Mow to break the weed life cycle. Mowing cuts off flower/seed heads and that stops weed seeds from making more weeds. Get yourself on a weekly mowing routine and don't let the weeds get ahead of you. Better yet, a robotic lawn mower will quietly and constantly mow for you and keep the despised weeds from going to seed - It's a clean and green, weed-stopping machine!
- Now is the time for post-emergent weed control. We stock Trimec post-emergent herbicides to apply directly to weeds that you see now. Come by your local Super-Sod for products!
- Spray crabgrass when it's young because it's hard to kill when it's mature.
- Spray Trimec only on established turf that is rooted and has been mowed a minimum of three times.
- Mulch is a time-tested trick for suppressing weeds in flower beds. Spread it 2-4" thick and keep it 1-2" away from touching the trunks or stems of your plants.
- Hand weeding while chatting with a friend or family member is relaxing and pulling weeds up by their roots is satisfying. Hand weeding is therapy!
Doc's Raised Garden Grow Bags
Check out that round bag! It's a lightweight 100 gallon grow bag that's easy to set up anywhere. The fabric is breathable and it makes for healthy, happy roots. So does Soil3. To start an instant garden, we offer the bags as a kit with a BigYellowBag of Soil3.
It's not too late to start your summer garden! This makes it easy, especially because the price includes local delivery.
Raised beds, such as this round bag, are great for growing flowers too. Here are flower grow bag pics from two of our stores.
Tall Fescue Lawns
Stop fertilizing this cool season lawn for the summer. You'll resume fertilizing in September, when your Tall Fescue lawn hits its stride again and starts actively growing.
Now that warm weather has arrived, it's time to apply fungicide to your Tall Fescue lawn all through summer. We carry fungicide in our stores.
>> Read up on applying preventative fungicide on Tall Fescue.
Be sure to adequately water Tall Fescue throughout these hot months, and remember to always water in the morning. Watering late in evenings or at night promotes disease because water stays on the leaves too long.
Warm Season Lawns
DISEASE ALERT: Due to the extremely wet winter, soil Potassium levels are low due to leaching. These conditions are causing a high level of bipolaris in lawns. Bipolaris is being mis-diagnosed as other conditions. If you don't have this problem, perhaps a friend does, so please read our blog post on diagnosis and treatment of bipolaris.
- If you haven't done it yet, now's the time to begin fertilizing warm season lawns (Zoysia, Bermuda, Centipede).
- Our Total Lawn Food 16-4-8 + Iron is what you want for Zoysia lawns and Bermuda lawns.
>> Read the Best Times to Apply Fertilizer
- Your TifBlair Centipede should be fertilized with very little fertilizer. We have our own special formulation just for it with lower nitrogen: Centipede Formulation 5-10-30 + Iron.
>> Read Fertilizer Tips for Your Centipede Lawn
- All types of warm season lawns benefit from topdressing with Soil3. This rich compost will replace one fertilizer application and "counts" as organic lawn care. Read about it in the next section.
- If you need to apply Lime to raise the pH, we have conveniently packaged limestone in stock.
>> Read about the importance of soil pH in your lawn
Soil Test Note: Always apply fertilizer and lime based on soil tests. You may need less than you assume! Testing is not expensive and we've even provided a tutorial for you.
>> Learn how to take a soil sample
Compost Topdressing Your Lawn with Soil3
Soil3 provides natural nutrients to your grass while improving the ground it grows in.
We rent two different types. Not sure which one is for you?
Automower Robotic Lawn Mower
"This unit alone gave me back 24 hours of life to live each year! Plus, it does a much better job than I was doing with my ride-on mower because it keeps the lawn consistently cut each day rather than mowing once per week." -Ben Jr.
Remember what we said above about suppressing weeds by mowing? This robotic lawn mower will do it for you, so you have more time for other things.
Lawns from Seed
- It's warm season seed time again! You may safely plant Zenith Zoysia and TifBlair Centipede seed.
- Our grass seed can be used to plant an entirely new lawn, to expand a lawn into new areas, and to rejuvenate struggling areas.
- Make sure you follow the directions for planting grass seed.
>> View our video on Easy Seed Planting 101
- We wrote an entire blog post on the conditions required to grow healthy TifBlair Centipede and Zenith Zoysia grass from seed. There are even time-lapse videos so you can see how your seed should be progressing each day.
>> Watch how you can cater to the Needs of Your Grass Seed
Want monthly lawn tips tailored specifically to your area and your type of sod? Join our Monthly Lawn Tips Newsletter List and get customized, timely lawn information delivered to your inbox each month!