Balancing Lawn Care & Large Plastic Items + Fireworks
If you're delighting the kids with bouncy houses, pools, or slip 'n slides, don't keep those items set up for several days. They will smother your lawn.
If your lawn gets hurt from fireworks or large plastic items, there are plenty of fixit solutions. Take heart and read our repair tips.
Chill Out During Every Sunset
The calm of the evening was undisturbed by the lawn maintenance quietly provided by Andrey's Automower.
Robotic lawn mowers free up your days so you can enjoy your beautifully maintained lawn with minimal work and no loud noises. Our team of robotic lawn mower professionals (including Andrey who snapped this pic of his robot) make the transition from traditional mowing to robotic mowing easy.
Warm Season Lawns
(Zoysia, Bermuda, Centipede)
- It's the first month of summer and it's hot! If you haven't applied your first round of fertilizer, it's time to start.
- Our Total Lawn Food 16-4-8 + Iron is what you want for Zoysia lawns and Bermuda lawns.
>> Read the Best Times to Apply Fertilizer
- Your TifBlair Centipede should be fertilized with very little fertilizer. We have our own special formulation just for it with lower nitrogen: Centipede Formulation 5-10-30 + Iron.
>> Read Fertilizer Tips for Your Centipede Lawn
How High Should You Mow Your Lawn?
There is a healthy range for each type of lawn. Do you know the best height for your lawn?
>> Read Summer Mowing for Warm Season Grasses
Time to Aerate & Compost Topdress Warm Season Lawns
It's time to roll out the compost spreaders and nourish your warm season lawn. Soil³ provides natural nutrients to your grass while improving the ground it grows in. This rich compost will replace one fertilizer application and "counts" as organic lawn care.
Contact your local store to ask about availability of manual or motorized spreader rentals.
Same tips as last month. Nothing will change until September. You know the routine by now, yes?
- Mow to break the weed life cycle. Mowing cuts off flower/seed heads and that stops weed seeds from making more weeds. Get yourself on a weekly mowing routine and don't let the weeds get ahead of you. Better yet, a robotic lawn mower will quietly and constantly mow for you and keep the despised weeds from going to seed - It's a clean and green, weed-stopping machine!
- Mulch is a time-tested trick for suppressing weeds in flower beds. Spread it 2-4" thick and keep it 1-2" away from touching the trunks or stems of your plants.
- Hand Weeding. Try hand weeding for therapy and exercise - take your frustrations out on those weeds! Don't forget to bring your favorite beverage. It can sit on the lawn right beside you. Listening to podcasts is good weeding companionship too.
- Post-emergent Herbicide: Is an herbicide applied directly to existing, visible weeds to kill them once they have already sprouted. We stock post-emergent herbicides to apply directly to weeds that you can see now. At this time, the best method to combat weeds is to mow now and to plan ahead for winter by applying pre-emergents in September. Watch for this email at that time because we'll send a reminder.
- What are pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides? We explain it in our blog post, What's the Difference?
- Pro Tip for All Herbicides: Don’t apply during the heat of the day. Apply in the morning before temperatures rise above 80 degrees.
Fall Armyworm Alert
They are named "fall" armyworms, but they have been seen already. Learning how to spot Armyworms will help you solve a lot of problems with your plants (your lawn is a plant too). A customer pointed out they saw them in their trees! I have too, but was in denial about it. Please scout daily and don't ignore them. Sometimes you can even hear them chewing.
This high quality spreader can be picked up at our store for $129.99.
It's for spreading granular products like fertilizer, lime, and herbicides.
We have developed a settings guide for our yellow spreader.
Tall Fescue Lawn Tips
This is a cool season lawn so gets its own section.
Existing Elite Tall Fescue Lawn Tips
- Stop Fertilizing Fescue lawns for summer.
- With warmer weather here, it's time to apply fungicide for your tall fescue lawns. We carry fungicide in our stores.
>> Read about fungicide on Tall Fescue
- There have been a lot of afternoon and evening thunderstorms that contribute to disease due to water on the leaf blades throughout the night. If we go into a dry spell and you need to water you lawn, be sure to water it in the morning (not the evening), to help mitigate diseases.
New & Overseeded Elite Tall Fescue Lawn Tips
- POST-Emergent Herbicide on NEW Fescue: If you planted a brand new Fescue lawn from seed and in the process tilled up existing soil, you've probably kicked up weed seeds and exposed them to the light. As a result, the seeds are probably now germinating alongside your Fescue seedlings. We have herbicides in stock.
- Here's a rule of thumb: It's okay to apply a post-emergent herbicide labeled for use on Tall Fescue lawns after you've mowed your lawn 3 to 4 times. Come by for products!
Mowing Tall Fescue
- It's summer now, so we recommend setting your Tall Fescue mow height taller, at 3 to 3.5" tall. When it cools off in the autumn, you can set your mow height back down at 2.5 to 3" tall.